Sunday 14 October 2012

Cracked Garmin GPSmap 62s Screen Cover



While in Temagami, I was pounding down Maple Mountain from the summit, my shoelace caught a branch sticking out on the trail and bodyslammed me into the ground.  I stumbled a couple steps, landed sideways and thankfully I just hit the peaty ground hard, not any big rocks.  Also thankfully, I had a backpack full of SLR cameras which were undamaged.
A short time later I glanced at my Garmin GPSmap62s GPS which was carbined to a D-ring on my left hip.  The plastic screen cover (not screen protector) was cracked – looks like my GPS smacked a rock while I was doing my impromptu luchadore impression on Maple Mountain.  Good thing I had a screen protector on top of it which retained it’s waterproof integrity - the GPS later in the trip fell off my caribiner into the water while getting into the canoe where I retrieved it undamaged.  Otherwise there would have been shards of broken plexiglass everywhere leaving the LCD screen unprotected for the remainder of the trip.  I can still read the LCD under the cracks, and it is undamaged.  But I requested to buy a replacement screen cover... you know, a small, clear plastic part.. a part I can change myself in 5 minutes.  Garmin informs me that they cannot sell me any parts.   I can ship the thing back to them for exchange for a new one or a refurbished one for the low price of $120.    Seriously?   Give me a break.  A handheld GPS for use in the backcountry should naturally have a service part available for a replacement screen cover.  I guess they went the way of Apple products – everything  is serviceable, just as long as you return it to them, wait a month for it’s return and also pay an exorbitant amount of money.
Really, the outdoor handheld market is the only thing Garmin has potential any more to grow,  due to the proliferation of smartphones killing their automotive market and they need to step up the customer service for issues like this to retain customers.  Now I have to wait around and monitor eBay for someone to sell a disassembled one for parts or someone to offer aftermarket screen cover, since I certainly refuse to pay $120 just to fix a small $1 piece of plastic screen cover, which should be a readily available replaceable item.  Garmin's fixed price 'repair'  (more like replacement) policy doesn't make sense to me - you pay the same price whether you destroyed your unit by running over your device with your car or you have a crack in a screen cover.

Update:  I replaced my screen by buying some parts off of eBay, instead of getting ripped off by Garmin for their 'repair' costs.  Read about it here.

1 comment: